Thursday 18 June 2020

Follow up - hydro abrasion fun

I previously posted two greenware cups which I'd decorated with hydroabrasion designs. I have now full glazed both of these and am moderately pleased with the results.


The first cup was dipped in midnight blue. This glaze is tricky because it's very thick and dries slowly. As it is translucent, it is very difficult to avoid finger prints unless you are using tongs to dip the cup. This only had a single coat of the blue as I was concerned that it'd be too runny and end up flowing down the foot. It has pooled there somewhat but has behaved remarkably well. I am curious if I dipped the rim to bring more colour to that edge, would I see a line?


This second cup was dipped in midight blue. This was then followed up with a aubergine rim. This really displays how runny the blue is as the line of the rim dip isn't smooth with a beautiful organic movement. I quite like this combination even if this isn't a medieval design. I also quite like the effect of the small divots in the flower design. This has created small dark pockets while the main form is outline in the white. This is a really effective three toned colour grouping. I will be trying this again.



No comments:

Post a Comment