Sunday 12 January 2020

Buff green Pt 3 - Sultanabad inspiration

My buff test tile with Pale Jade circled. It's a reasonably boring colour though it might be good for replicating the celadon glazes of China.



I had another 12th century Iranian shaped cup so I decided that since I love sultanabad-ware so much I should try another experiment to see if I can replicate it with a clear turquoise / blue glaze. This cup has been underglazed in black oxide and what is called "Pale Jade". The Pale Jade under the clear glaze looks more like a very light blue. I'm hoping a transparent green coat will bring it to a more appropriate colour. I'm also hoping the difference between the buff colour and the pale jade will be sufficient to replicate the tonal differences seen in the Sultanabadware.

Sultanabad-ware underglaze

When decorating this cup I didn't want to copy a extant piece exactly because I'd already done that with my Lochac 12th night A&S entry (Part 1 of this Buff green set). Instead I used general references from my Sultanabad Pinterest collection.

Update: post firing.


Oh wow! I love this piece. The buff area has come out even more green than the jade area. When I was dipping the cup in the two green over glazes I noticed the overglaze didn’t really coat the underglaze. This may be because the bisque pores were full of glaze and couldn’t absorb mire water reducing the ‘stick’.

I can’t decide if the opaque green glaze was too thick here or if there simply hasn’t been sufficient heat. Either way, there are some cloudy areas which needs more investigation. It all seems to be around the rim...

No comments:

Post a Comment