Tuesday 28 April 2020

Green but not like the others


Wheel cut glass bowl. Persian (Syria? Iran?), 10th Century. Sotheby's - Arts of the Islamic World. 5/10/2011 lot 203



I thought I'd try something a little different. I love the extant article, the way the light shines through the carved design is simply beautiful. I have tried to capture the design for the green-black series but it's not quite as effective.

This is the cup post glazing. The small crack in the rim has been sealed with the glaze. I double dipped this one in the transparent green glaze and you can see it's had quite a runny effect. While it doesn't do my underglazing any favours, the transparent green running off the sea green has created the most delightful sparkles on the inner rim. There's also a pool of transparent green in the center of this cup which is beautiful. Not what I wanted but some nice colour play all the same.

I plan on attempting this design again at least twice more. Once I'll carve to allow the glaze to pool and thicken in areas. The other I'll practice hydro-abrasion on and have more prominent areas raising up out of the glaze. It'll be interesting to see which is the most effective with this glaze combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment