Sunday 17 January 2021

Khorassan ewer of tinyness III



The tiny Chinese jar is done! I’m pretty happy with how the blue on blue shading worked out. I think I’ll be using that approach again.

Unfortunately the ewer suffered a chipping prior to being loaded into the kiln. Happily, the team at Claymake made the right call and didn’t fire it so I could rescue it. I considered the PVA and glaze welding truck but the lip of a the spout would be under too much strain from gravity to stick before the glaze melted. Instead, I grabbed my trusty dust mask and some sand paper and reshaped the lip. I’m actually a lot happier with the result than I was with the original shape. I make have to make a master of this so I can slip cast some more.

I guess it’s not even close to a Khorassan ewer now. It’s a pleasing shape, I wonder if I can find any medieval examples closer to this shape. Can’t wait to see the glaze results!


No comments:

Post a Comment