Thursday 3 January 2019

Hood idea II

Yesterday I published a picture of a hood I'd like to make as I'm quite taken with the ears. I've now found something equally great! Below is an image of a 1535 German design book by Christian Egenolff. The designs seem to cover a great many applications. Some are clearly embroidery charts, others appear to be engraving or carving where rounded lines are utilised. I found the image below on a page of embroidery designs. Though this image has a few rounded lines, I believe the cubic format is intended for embroidery.

The chart features two fools conversing in a garden surrounded by sun flowers. In front of them a wattle fence keeps them penned in. The alignment of the left most flower and fence post and right most flower and fence post suggests this pattern could be repeated with ease. Now I'm torn, should I embroider this along the base of my hood or as shirt cuffs?

Modelbuch aller Art Nehens vn Stickens by Christian Egenolff. 1535. Germany. The Met Museum. Accession number: 33.69(4v)

No comments:

Post a Comment