Monday 23 March 2020

Bowl shapes black underglaze - Iran

I've been working on cups for a couple of months now but many of my favourite references are bowls or dishes. Before trying to make some bisque to decorate I thought I should review some shapes before I get throwing. To narrow it down a little, I'll focus on Iranian objects preferentially black underglaze.
Bowl - 1180-1220 Kashan Iran. V&A, CIRC 53-1938
Small flare above foot then reasonably conicle. Likely incised foot / foot ring but no images of the base is available. Similar shape at The Met.

Bowl. 13th century. Kashan, Iran. The Met. Accession No. 20.120.32.
Incised foot with a flared edge.

Bowl, early 13th century. Iran. Brooklyn Museum. Accession no. 37.147.
Conicle with bulb 2/3rd of the way up. Slight lip.

Bowl. 1038-1194. Iran. Saint Louis Art Museum. Object 281:1951.
Conicle with an inclised foot ring. A slight bulb  4/5th of the way up with an overhanging lip. Similar bowl in Sotheby's


No comments:

Post a Comment