Sunday 22 March 2020

Iranian globe cup II

The design:
This is the black under-glaze design. I used a single sized paint brush and a single coat for all of the items except the blackband at the top. I rather like the swirl in the foliage of this design.


The extant reference:
Extant jug from LACMA. (M.73.5.258). Kashan, Iran, early 13th century.

The reeds / kelp design and the fish are a common motif  (1, 2, 3, 4) appearing on cups, jugs and most commonly, in bowls. Given my cup is squatter than the extant piece I decided to do away with the top layer of fish. I also decided to continue the vine down the handle rather than blackening it out as it has been on the original. This was because the handle makes a greater % of the overall object and would have dominated the design. I am actually really pleased how well the fish came out. Their sinuous form is lovely, it's just a pity they are too low on the cup to be seen properly.


The glaze:
Both cups (+octopi cup previously posted) came through the kiln fine. What was most interesting about both of these cups is the difference between them and my 12th night A&S entry. Exactly the same glaze combination was used but these came out lighter with some interesting crystal patterns forming.

The result:
Front Back

No comments:

Post a Comment