Monday 18 May 2020

Let there be Light?

My first oil lamp - essentially a thick bottomed bowl with the sides pinched in and sealed. Glazed in a yellow outer with a clear semi-gloss coat to seal the interior. A simple triangle pattern was carved into the greenware prior to bisque firing along the foot.

A bamboo torch wick and citronella oil for firing, both purchased from Bunnings. Due to the kink in the neck the wick was a little tricky to insert but this does prevent the oil from sloshing out the front.

The lamp was pretty easy to fill and the wick adsorbed the oil very quickly. I cannot completely fill the reservoir as the wick lip is around the same height as the rest of the bowl so oil will seep into the open and pool under the wick.

This lamp produces a rather large flame when lit. This could be related to the loose wide weave of the wick (too large), the protrusion of the wick (too long) and partly, the strong wind. I'm going to modify what I can when it's less windy and see if I can get this to be sufficiently manageable that I'd risk having it inside.

I may have to carve a dragon into one of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment