Friday 1 May 2020

Not-a-globe but still green

Finished - green glaze conical cup with black underglaze in the style of 12-13th century Iran.

I've been focusing on achieving balance in my underglaze pieces recently. It is an interesting challenge to even out the light and dark space as well as the thick and thin lines. I was intrigued by this extant cup (below) as it has so much black yet still achieves a balanced finished look. I wondered if I could replicate it and if the lighter green I've been using will still do it justice.


Left: black underglaze. Sketched in 8B pencil then hand painted. Right: Extant cup, 12-13th century, Iran. Harvard Art Museum. Item 1936.48.

Even though the green ran a little, I'm pretty happy with how close to the extant item the colour is. The cup probably needs to be a tighter cone shape with slightly thicker walls. This unfortunately deformed a little in the kiln losing it's pleasing circular shape. It's still viable just not as perfect. A solid 7/10 in my opinion.





No comments:

Post a Comment