Monday 15 June 2020

Pleasingly accidental

Every now and again, a mistake is made that must be preserved. During my first ever throwing class, I accidentally destabilized the wall of a shallow bowl. I kept the pot because the ripple was quite pleasing and I wanted to see if a green-purple combination of glaze could emphasize it. Occasionally, a flaw can be a feature.

This cup was throw right before the COVID19 social isolation kicked in for my state. Its walls were quite thin and the clay had been thrown multiple times as I'd had a couple of failures that evening. As a result, the clay was very wet so wasn't holding up well. As I pulled, I thinned the base a little too much and it couldn't hold the weight of the rim and collasped on itself. It was an almost even collapse with four main divots so I thought I might preserve it. The rim was almost even as well so it is a reasonably viable drinking cup.

I glazed the inside with satin white and the outside with aubergine over midnight blue. It has created a lovely purple blue blend which I'm going to try to emulate more. I think if I do this combination again on a thin cup, I might double dip the purple on the rim to hopefully prevent too much colour creep away from this thin edge.


No comments:

Post a Comment