Tuesday 9 June 2020

The final globe

This is the final globe cup from my green series. I decided I needed to further expand my use of the medieval motifs and thought maybe for the final cup I'd step away from the green over black. Instead, I used the period motifs and modified to them to align with a more heraldic colour set.

After glazing in the rim decoration and the three cats in ebony, I decided I wanted to move as far from the green as possible. I thought this would be a really good project to trial my new Firetruck Red glaze performance. I retained the motifs of the extant cup with the striped half base and the vines but used olour to emphaise the design. The red glaze is a beautiful colour and I am really happy with how this design turned out.
The dimensions of the cup are more bulb shaped rather than the tapered look of the extant jug howver when handled, the elements tie nicely in together so I am satisfied with the look.

Jug with running animals. Kashan. 12-13th century. Cleveland Museum of Art. 1947.495

No comments:

Post a Comment